5 out of 7 billion people do not have access to safe, affordable anaesthesia and surgery when needed. Each year 4 times as many people die from conditions that could be treated by surgery and anaesthesia as die from HIV, Malaria and Tuberculosis combined.
This is a tragedy that is almost incomprehensible in scale, but which affects the lives of individuals every day. What if a birth goes wrong and a caesarean section is necessary? If skilled anaesthesia or proper equipment is not available then young mothers die or suffer unnecessarily. What if basic operations, such as repairing compound fractures or removing infected appendixes are not available, unsafe or economically devastating?
In many countries, to allow surgery of any kind to take place, there is a need to provide simple, low-cost, low-maintenance, anaesthetic equipment. However, it is insufficient to send apparatus without ensuring that training is provided. So education is a crucial requirement.
The WFSA raises funds for equipment, training and education to provide basic anaesthetic facilities for the world’s poorest people.
HOW YOU CAN HELP!
Any donation, however small, will contribute to changing lives.
- $20 provides a text book for an anaesthesia trainee
- $250 provides a Pulse Oximeter and the training to use it properly
- $750 trains an anaesthesia provider to give a safe anaesthetic to a child
- $3,000 covers a specialist Fellowship for a young anaesthesiologist
- $10,000 One Year Postgraduate Education
- $40,000 One Full Anaesthesia Work Station
Alternatively if you would like to donate using a different format please contact us at email@example.com and we will be happy to help.