WFSA RESEARCH GRANTS 2015/16
This year the WFSA Scientific Committee will continue a programme of research scholarships. These grants will be provided to young researchers from less affluent countries, according to the criteria of the World Bank, to help them to travel to a foreign country to study and learn in a research programme. The recipient will have to develop a research project in a Department or a Laboratory of Anaesthesiology for a period of six months to one year, with a final goal of publishing an original paper in an indexed journal. This could form part of an advanced diploma, or a PhD thesis.
At least one of the projects will constitute a fundamental or experimental research, the two other projects could be clinical research. The winners will come from different countries.
Three grants of US $8000 each will be awarded for the year 2015/16. This sum will serve mainly for travel and food. Hosting Departments or Laboratories are asked to provide accommodation during the scholarship.
This call is both for trainees and for Departments and Laboratories who would be willing to host a young researcher.
The deadline for applications has been extended to 31st October 2015. Please follow the application guidelines below and ensure you submit all the requested documents.
The application must be submitted to Professor Philippe SCHERPEREEL, WFSA Scientific Committee Chairman, preferably by e-mail with scanned documents in attachment.
The applications will be submitted to 2 reviewers, WFSA Scientific Committee members from geographical areas other than that of the candidate. They will report their conclusions to the Committee, which will make the final selection. After informing the WFSA Executive Committee, the results will be communicated to the candidates before December 31, 2015. Half of the grant will be sent to winners in January 2016 and the second half six months later on receipt of the interim report.
Submission of application by e-mail with scanned documents
To submit an application the candidate must provide:
- the exact title of the project - which can be a clinical or laboratory topic,
- a presentation of the objectives and the methods of her/his project (2-3 pages)
- a letter explaining the aim of her/his application,
- a curriculum vitae with a picture of the candidate and a list of previous publications,
- a letter from the Head of the hosting Department/Laboratory indicating his willingness to receive and monitor the candidate, to endorse the project and to provide some facilities for meals and accommodation during the period of fellowship,
- a letter from the candidate’s Chair and Head of the Department of Anaesthesiology to support the candidacy and to indicate why the project is useful for the Institution and for the candidate’s career
- a letter of support from the President of the National Society,
- a letter of commitment from the candidate:
- to use the allocated funds exclusively for purposes of the research project
- to provide an interim report after six months
- to publish, within one year after the end of the scholarship, a paper giving the results of her/his research, and acknowledging the WFSA funding,
- Complementary grants are encouraged but must be declared by the candidate.
The Presidents of the National Societies, WFSA members, and the Chairs of Departments of Anaesthesiology are kindly requested to disseminate this information to all potential candidates.
Applications and more information may be obtained from the WFSA Scientific Committee Chairman
Pr. Philippe SCHERPEREEL
Département d’Anesthésie Réanimation
Hôpital Claude Huriez
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Lille
59037 LILLE France