Applications open: WFSA-Baxter & AAGBI Scholarships for World Congress of Anaesthesiologists (WCA), 28th Aug - 2nd Sept 2016, Hong Kong
The WFSA is excited to announce the opportunity for young anaesthesiologists from low and middle income countries to attend the World Congress of Anaesthesiologists, 28th August – 2nd September in Hong Kong, thanks to the generous support of Baxter Healthcare Ltd.
The WFSA-Baxter Scholarship programme has been developed to identify and develop future leaders in Anaesthesiology. Scholars will acquire new knowledge and gain many contacts and friends during the WCA. The selected scholars will be invited to join WFSA-Baxter alumni network and will be encouraged to contribute to WFSA activities in the future.
We are excited to announce two additional scholarships for applicants from Uganda that are being supported by the AAGBI. Candidates should use the same application form and process as indicated below.
The World Congress is the Olympics of the Anaesthesia world, keenly anticipated as it travels the globe and a wonderful occasion to bring all the international practitioners of our specialty together. Although our backgrounds and resources may be very different, we all face similar problems and challenges in providing the very best care to our patients. WCA is the preeminent Anaesthesia congress and only takes place every four years. We will have 17 different scientific tracks organised by leaders in each field, together with symposia on Anaesthesia and Cancer, Obesity and Sleep Medicine. The aim is to provide first-rate, global, scientific content that is also clinically relevant with a strong practical emphasis.
• Preference will also be given to younger applicants who have completed training within the last 10 years and are working in teaching hospitals.
• Preference will be given to those working in low and middle income countries.
• The application must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the applicant's National Anaesthesiology Society.
• Preference will be given to applicants who present a paper or poster during the conference.
The scholarship will cover:
• Return airfares
• Transit accommodation (if required)
• Accommodation in Hong Kong
• Conference registration
• All airfares and transit accommodation (if required) will be booked by WFSA travel consultants. Overland travel costs will be considered if cheaper or more convenient than airfares.
• The successful applicant is responsible for organising and paying for:
o Travel visas or other documentation
o Travel to and from the airport of departure
o Appropriate travel and health insurance
o All other costs, including income taxes or other fees
• The scholar is required to submit a report, no later than one month after the conference. The report should include an outline of conference activities, comments on how the scholar benefited from the conference, how he/she intends to share new knowledge and how this knowledge will improve the practice of anaesthesiology in his/her home country. The report should also include a photo of the scholar with his/her poster.
• All applications must be submitted by email to Giselle de Castro firstname.lastname@example.org by the 15th March 2016.
• Applications will be considered by a panel of anaesthesiologists selected by WFSA (applicants from Uganda will also be considered by the AAGBI), and successful applicants will be informed by late-April.
• Successful applicants must confirm their intention to take up the scholarship within 7 days of notification. Failure to do so will result in the scholarship being offered to the next applicant.
• Please fill in the application form and email to email@example.com. If possible, please type your answers in the table.
• Please also include a letter of recommendation from your National Anaesthesiology Society and your Head of Department/ Hospital Manager.