Applications open: 2019/20 Paediatric Anaesthesia Fellowships, Nairobi, Kenya
The University of Nairobi is offering up to three Paediatric Anaesthesia Fellowship positions starting in September 2019. The duration of the each fellowship is 12 months.
Applications are now invited for scholarships for these positions. The successful applicants will receive funding to cover tuition, accommodation and subsistence living expenses. Funding is provided by the WFSA, the Society for Pediatric Anesthesia (USA), SmileTrain, ImPACT Africa and the Association of Paediatric Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland.
Fellows will rotate through Kenyatta National Hospital, Gertrude’s Children’s Hospital, Mater Hospital, Kijabe Hospital and CURE Kenya Orthopaedic Hospital. Teaching will be provided by local faculty and a number of visiting overseas specialists.
All applicants must be registered medical practitioners in their country of origin and eligible for registration with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board. Once the WFSA application process is approved, applicants will also need to apply directly to the University of Nairobi. This will be facilitated by the course coordinator.
Preference will be given to anaesthesiologists aged 40 years or younger who are working in Central and East African countries. Older anaesthesiologists and those working in other African countries may apply and the selection panel will consider each applicant’s place of work and other factors when making its decision.
Applicants should fit the following criteria:
• Must be supported in their application by their own national anaesthesiology society
• Must be supported in their application by their head department or hospital management
• Must be returning to their home country to a recognized post
• Should ideally be working in a teaching hospital
For more information, please contact the course coordinator, Dr Mark Gacii (email@example.com).
How to apply:
The deadline for applications is the 30th April 2019. In order to apply please use our online application system here to complete an application form and upload the following documents.
• Curriculum vitae with one recent photo and the names of two referees
• Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s national anaesthesiology society
• Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s head of department or hospital management
• Copy of medical degree
• Copy of specialist anaesthesiology qualification
• Copy of photograph page of Passport”
For the University of Nairobi application the following additional documentation will be required:
• Transcripts both from your Undergraduate degree and Anaesthesia degree/fellowship. These should be certified by the University/ Fellowship college
• High School certificates
• Valid police clearance from your country of residence
For the above if not in English they need to be translated officially into English.
• Evidence of Yellow fever vaccination
• Evidence of Hepatitis B vaccination
Applications will be considered by a panel of anaesthesiologists selected by WFSA, and successful applicants will be informed before mid May 2019.
Successful applicants must confirm their intention to take up the scholarship within 2 days of notification. Failure to do so will result in the scholarship being offered to the next applicant.