Applications now open: WFSA-Medical Education-Simulation Fellowship 2019
The WFSA and the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Care, University of California San Francisco (UCSF), are partnering to offer a Medical Education-Simulation fellowship. This is a 1-year, non-accredited program partly based at UCSF (1-3 months) and partly at the fellow’s home institution. The overall goal of the fellowship is to provide opportunities for anesthesiologists from LMICs to gain expertise in medical education, develop educational leadership and acquire foundational skills to conduct research in education. Fellows will complete scholarly work and return to their home institutions to implement mentored education projects.
During their time at UCSF, fellows will complete the ‘Teach for UCSF Simulation Certificate’ program and receive training in curriculum development, evaluation tool design and effective learner feedback. The fellows will work under the supervision and guidance of faculty members and educational experts at UCSF and will receive continued remote mentorship and support while completing their scholarly project back at their home institution.
UCSF is a global leader in medical education and research, dedicated to promoting health worldwide. The Center of Research and Development in Medical Education (RaDME) and Kanbar Simulation Center at UCSF have long standing programs that aim to enrich faculty and learners to become leaders, innovators and researchers in health professions education.
Applicants are considered on a rolling basis with an application deadline of 21th June 2019. The fellowship start date October 2019.
Applicants are required to provide an outline of an educational interests and potential projects that they would like to implement or develop during the fellowship year.
Criteria for applicants:
• Anesthesia practitioner currently working in a low or middle-income countries (World Bank classification)
• IELTS score of 7 and above in all categories
• Have completed formal clinical training program in anesthesia
• Eligibility for US visa
• Preference will be given to applicants less than 40 years old
How to apply:
Please complete the online application form here and provide all required supporting documents.
• An outline of your role in medical education at your institution and the aims of your proposed educational project (1-2 pages, less than 500 words)
• Curriculum vitae with one recent photo and the names of two referees
• Letter of good standing from your national anaesthesiology society
• Letter of recommendation from your current workplace (hospital/institution)
• Scanned copy of your medical degree
• Scanned copy of your specialist qualification
• Scanned copy of passport
A selection panel comprising members of the WFSA and the Department of Anesthesiology, UCSF, will assess all applications. Shortlisted applicants may be required to participate in a video interview.